by Steven Ertelt
May 22, 2007
Beijing, China (LifeNews.com) — Thousands of Chinese residents have been rioting in southwest China over the last few days as citizens confront local officials over a campaign of forced abortions there. The protests began after family planning authorities began forcibly aborting women for violations of the nation’s one-child population policy.
As LifeNews.com has previously reported, Chinese family planning officials in Guangxi province forced at least 61 women in April to have abortions as late as seven and nine months into pregnancy.
Women said were forced to have abortions because they were unmarried, while other women were married and pregnant with their second child.
The abortions have all occurred at the Youjiang District People’s Hospital of Baise City, where local officials denied the forced abortions were occurring.
An official named Nong told National Public Radio that forcing women to undergo abortions against their will would be against the law and claimed that an investigation by officials into the reports had already been concluded and that officials determined the reports of forced abortions were fabricated.
Because of the alleged violations of the family planning policy, officials in Guangxi recently increased fines for offenders and began seizing or destroying the property of people who cannot pay the fines.
The News York Times reports that Guangxi officials have issued fines from 500 yuan, or about $65, to 70,000 yuan, or about $9,000, on families who violated the policy at any time since 1980.
But some of the citizens of the area say the fines were instituted even on people who had already paid them. However, failure to pay the fines is leading officials to destroy homes of those who don’t cough up the money.
Responding to the government’s actions, local people in Guangxi overturned cars and set fire to government buildings and riot police entered at least four towns in the province to suppress the protesters.
Still, Reuters says local government officials would not comment on what took place.
The Xinhua News Agency, which is the official news outlet run by the Communist government, previously reported that the Baise City government last year missed its family planning target by a fraction of 1%.
Observers say missing the family planning goal may be the reason the forced abortion campaign appeared out of nowhere.