Woman Comatose for a Month After Botched Abortion Caused Center’s Closing

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Mar 1, 2007   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Woman Comatose for a Month After Botched Abortion Caused Center’s Closing Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
March 1
, 2007

Englewood, NJ (LifeNews.com) — New reports are showing why a large New Jersey abortion business — that does more abortions than most states see in a year –was recently shut down by state health officials. They took action after a woman who had an abortion there went into a coma for more than four weeks following a botched abortion.

Newark resident Rasheedah Dinkins had an abortion at the Metropolitan Medical Associates abortion business that went horribly wrong.

Dinkins, who is 20 years-old, became severely ill following the abortion and was transferred to Newark Beth Israel Medical Center where she needed blood transfusions and had her uterus removed. She also suffered a stroke due to the serious blood loss and had one of her lungs collapse.

"I was laying in my bed and I got the cold shakes," Dinkins told AP about her ordeal. "My body kept going numb. After that, I don’t remember anything."

The young woman is still in a hospital recovering from the abortion that nearly took her life.

"I think it’s horrible what I had to go through," she told The Associated Press from her hospital room Thursday morning.

Dinkins said her mother and hospital officials told her she died en route to the medical facility from the abortion center but medical personnel were able to revive her.

Knowing what she’s experienced, Dinkins told AP she regards her decision to have an abortion, saying "I probably wouldn’t have made this choice."

Adam Slater, Dinkins’ attorney, talked about a lawsuit against the abortion center and abortion practitioners there that he’s filed on her behalf.

"We expect to get to the bottom of why this incredibly horrible result could have happened," he said.

In ordering the abortion business to close, the Department of Health and Senior Services did not release an exact list of the problems at MMA but said the abortion facility had poor infection control, and did not properly sterilize instruments and equipment.

Health inspectors said the violations at the abortion business pose "immediate and serious risk of harm to patients."

They said it will remain closed until the problems are corrected. This is only the second time state health officials ordered one of the state’s 650 ambulatory health centers closed.

Dinkins isn’t the only woman who had an abortion at MMA and experienced problems.

Gloria Mozas of Cliffside Park is also suing the abortion center saying staff there misdiagnosed a tubal pregnancy and told her she miscarried the baby when she was actually pregnant with twins.

She told AP an abortion practitioner there did an abortion on her and told her he was just removing dead tissue. B ut a week later she had to undergo a medical procedure to remove the babies who had implanted into her fallopian tubes, causing her severe internal bleeding.

"I’ve been waiting for those doors to be locked for 3 1/2 years," she told AP.

Metropolitan Medical Associates is one of the biggest abortion facilities in the nation, having done 10,000 abortions last year alone. It was also closed down in 1993 for health and safety issues.

While it is closed, it is referring women to the Women’s Choice abortion center in Hackensack, run by the same owners as MMA. The abortion facility is also telling callers that it will reopen next Tuesday and that it is "closed for renovations."