Australia Abortion Practitioner Accused of Lying to Medical Board

International   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jan 30, 2007   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Australia Abortion Practitioner Accused of Lying to Medical Board Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
January 30
, 2007

Sydney, Australia ( — An Australia abortion practitioner who was convicted of illegally giving a woman a dangerous abortion drug and who had numerous complaints filed against her has been accused of lying to a medical board. Suman Sood has been accused of fabricating evidence to mislead the board in the investigation.

Sood failed to conduct a medical examination on a patient she gave a dangerous abortion drug to that resulted in a botched abortion.

The woman gave birth to a premature baby boy in the toilet in her bathroom at home and by the time paramedics could rush the infant to the hospital, he was dead.

Local police told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper that Sood falsified medical documents in order to cover up her actions and escape prosecution.

Sood faces five new charges relating to the obstruction of justice and she has pleaded not guilty to them, the newspaper indicated.

Sood told the medical board that she never did the abortion and referred the patient in question to a facility that does late-term abortions.

Arthur Richard Allen, an anesthesiologist, corroborated Sood’s story with a paper proving he phoned the abortion facility on Sood’s behalf. Police now say the paper was fake and Sood could face a sentence of 10 to 14 years if she’s convicted on the charges.

Sood should have faced 10 years in prison for the original charges related to the botched abortion but went free after getting a bond for good behavior in prison during the trial.

Sood will not be able to practice medicine for 10 years after a state medical panel ruled she was guilty of medical misconduct.

The ruling came after the panel heard 11 complaints against Sood.

The complaints centered on the way Sood handled abortions done on various women. Some 11 women who received abortion or other medical care from her since 1998 filed the complaints.

One of the women said Sood treated her in June 2002 even though the abortion practitioner’s medical license was suspended at the time.

Sood, who sometimes does non-abortion medical work, told the woman she had cancer and only two or three months to live. Later, the woman saw a specialist who told her the diagnosis was wrong and that she didn’t have cancer.

Another woman said Sood did an abortion on her but it failed. She returned to Sood’s abortion business to have the abortion completed and Sood charged her for an additional abortion.

The woman told the Herald newspaper she later went to a hospital with severe bleeding and doctors there told her she had fibroids.

Following the conviction in the illegal abortion case, Sood voluntarily took her name off of the nation’s medical register and will no longer do abortions. She had done more than 10,000 before convicted of the improper abortion.