Parents Arrested After Kidnapping Daughter for Forced Abortion

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Sep 18, 2006   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Parents Arrested After Kidnapping Daughter for Forced Abortion Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
September 18
, 2006

Portland, ME ( — A Maine couple who forcibly kidnapped their 19 year-old daughter and attempted to take her to New York and make her have an abortion has been apprehended. The pair were being held on Sunday in a New Hampshire jail after they were arrested by authorities.

Nicholas Kampf, 54 and his wife Lola, 53, said they were driving their daughter from Maine to New York for what they termed an emergency abortion.

They tied up their daughter Katelyn with rope and loaded her into the back seat of their car. But police said she was able to get one of her parents’ cell phones and called police in a K-Mart store when her parents thought she was using the restroom.

When police nabbed the Kampfs, they found rope, duct tape, scissors and a .22-caliber rifle in the vehicle. Nicholas had a loaded .22-caliber magazine clip in the pockets of his pants.

According to the Nashua Telegraph newspaper, the couple have no police record and are being held in jail on a $100,000 bond. Police told the paper the Kampf’s could face more charges when they are extradited to Maine and, if they are convicted of kidnapping, they could face anywhere from seven and a half years to 15 years in prison.

The Telegraph indicated the couple would be arraigned by a live video feed from the jail today.

Police said the Kampf’s were upset their daughter was pregnant and a physical fight on Friday morning led to the kidnapping.

“It’s a pretty dramatic response to her being pregnant, some would say outrageous response,” Cumberland County Sheriff Mark Dion told the Telegraph. “So before we draw conclusions, we need to flesh out the precursor facts.”

He indicated the Kampfs, who formerly owned the State Theater in Portland, thought the abortion should be done in New York because the baby was in late stages of pregnancy.

The incident comes at a time when Congress has passed legislation to prohibit non-parents from taking a minor teenager across state lines for an abortion. The bill has been approve by both the House and Senate, but Senate Democrats used a procedural motion to prevent a final version of the bill from going to President Bush for his signature.