Australia Abortion Practitioner Found Guilty in Botched Abortion Case

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Aug 23, 2006   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Australia Abortion Practitioner Found Guilty in Botched Abortion Case Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
August 23, 2006

Sydney, Australia ( — Australia abortion practitioner Suman Sood has been found guilty of killing a baby boy who died after she gave a woman with a late-term pregnancy a drug which resulted in a botched abortion. Sood will be taken off the nation’s medical register and eventually go to jail after a court hearing on the length of her sentence.

Sood was found guilty on two counts of causing a miscarriage which resulted in the death of the baby. Each charge carries a maximum of 10 years in prison.

She was acquitted of the manslaughter charge against her.

Sood pleaded innocent to the charges and was released on bail yesterday, but the sentencing hearing for the abortion practitioner will take place next month. A NSW Medical Tribunal will hold a hearing on September 11, according to the Daily Register newspaper.

Sood had given a woman, who was 23 weeks pregnant, both parts of a two-part abortion drug, which was not approved at the time and isn’t supposed to be given to women so late in pregnancy.

According to the charges against her, Sood also failed to perform a medical examination on the woman and failed to ask her the reasons for the abortion, both required by Australian law.

The woman gave birth to a premature baby boy in the toilet in her bathroom at home and by the time paramedics could rush the infant to the hospital, he was dead.

The court also heard from the paramedic, John Hando, who took the woman to the hospital after she gave birth to the dead baby in her toilet in her bathroom at home. He said Sood gave the woman a drug to "soften her fetus."

Hando said he found the baby face down in the toilet when he came to the woman’s house at 4:30 a.m. He indicated the baby was blue and he did not find a heartbeat or notice any breathing.

He said he took the baby to the hospital, where a nurse cut the umbilical cord and the baby let out a gasp.

"The fetus took a breath. The midwife said words to the effect: ‘It’s alive, quick, get one of the doctors," he said, according to a Sydney Morning Herald report.

After the first visit, Sood directed her to come back two days later for the abortion drugs. She gave the woman two pills to swallow and inserted another into her vagina.

That night the woman felt painful cramps and went to her bathroom.

"I started pushing and one thing dropped out and then another thing dropped out and after that I was too scared to stand up," she told the court, according to the Courier Mail.

Sood has performed more than 10,000 abortions.