Abortion Business Closed for Good Where Baby Found Born Alive, Killed

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Aug 10, 2006   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Abortion Business Closed for Good Where Baby Found Born Alive, Killed Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
August 10, 2006

Hialeah, FL (LifeNews.com) — A Florida abortion business where a baby was apparently born alive following a botched abortion has closed for good. Local health officials in this Miami-area city revoked the license of the A GYN Diagnostic Center abortion facility at a city council meeting on Tuesday.

Late last month, local police investigated the abortion center after reports surfaced that a dead baby’s body was located there.

According to witnesses, an unnamed young woman who was 23 weeks into her pregnancy went to the A Gynecologists Diagnostic Center abortion facility for an abortion.

Police say the 18 year-old returned the next day complaining of sever stomach pains. Abortion facility staff told her the abortion practitioner was not available and that she would have to wait.

After being taken to a waiting area, the woman allegedly gave birth to the baby that she thought had been aborted the day before.

The city was preparing to take action on the license suspension but before it could do so the owners of the abortion facility surrendered its license to operate to the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration, according to the Miami Herald.

Giving up the license means the abortion facility cannot practice medicine in the state John Travers, the city’s licensing administrator, told the Herald.

Officials say an anonymous caller, who they believe is an employee at the abortion business, alerted them to the birth and the infanticide of the child afterwards. However, when police arrived at the abortion facility, the baby’s body was missing.

They came back a second time and found the dead baby in a biohazard bag. Detectives say abortion facility staff likely moved the baby’s body the first time to avoid detection.

The baby was reportedly 12 inches long and weighed 2-3 pounds. Medical examiners performed an autopsy on the baby, but it may take weeks for the results to be released.

Hialeah police and the state attorneys office are continuing to investigate the potential murder of the newborn baby.

"The State Attorney’s Office is still reviewing the case, along with the Medical Examiner,” Mark Overton, Hialeah’s Deputy Police Chief told the Herald. "We are awaiting test results. Once they are back, they will be making a decision on what charges will be filed, if any.”

Regina DeMoraes-Millan, a lawyer for the abortion business, told the Miami Herald at the time that no crime was committed and that the teen had a successful abortion and no complications.

”My clients run an abortion clinic. It’s a legal business,” she said.

Belkis Gonzalez of Miramar, Florida, owns the abortion facility and another in Miramar, which has run afoul of state regulations on numerous occasions. It was closed last year after three employees were found to be unlicensed.