Abortion Business Closed After Police Told Baby Born Alive and Killed

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jul 30, 2006   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Abortion Business Closed After Police Told Baby Born Alive and Killed Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
July 30, 2006

Hialeah, FL (LifeNews.com) — A Florida abortion business in a Miami suburb has closed after it appears a baby was born alive following a botched abortion. Police in Hialeah are investigating the abortion facility after reports surfaced that a dead baby’s body was located there.

According to witnesses, an unnamed young woman who was 23 weeks into her pregnancy went to the A Gynecologists Diagnostic Center abortion facility for an abortion.

Police say the 18 year-old woman went for the abortion on Thursday and came back the next day complaining of sever stomach pains. Abortion facility staff told her the abortion practitioner was not available and that she would have to wait.

After being taken to a waiting area, the woman allegedly gave birth to the baby that she thought had been aborted the day before. The teenager was sent home after a brief examination.

”Employees cut the umbilical cord, put the baby in a bag and walked away with it," Hialeah Lt. Ralph Gracia told a local CBS television station.

Officials say an anonymous caller, who they believe is an employee at the abortion business, alerted them to the birth and the infanticide of the child afterwards. However, when police arrived at the abortion facility, the baby’s body was missing.

The came back a second time Friday evening and found the dead baby in a biohazard bag. Detectives say abortion facility staff likely moved the baby’s body the first time to avoid detection.

The baby was reportedly 12 inches long and weighed 2-3 pounds, according to the CBS station. Medical examiners performed an autopsy on the baby Saturday but it may take weeks for the results to be released.

Regina DeMoraes-Millan, a lawyer for the abortion business, told the Miami Herald that no crime was committed and that the teen had a successful abortion and no complications.

”My clients run an abortion clinic. It’s a legal business,” she said.

"In 24 years in law enforcement, I have never seen a case like this," Hialeah Detective Tony Rodriguez, the lead investigator, told the CBS station.

Hialeah Police Chief Rolando Bolaño ordered the Gynecologists Diagnostic Center abortion facility is closed while the investigation continues.

Belkis Gonzalez of Miramar, Florida, owns the abortion facility and another in Miramar, which has run afoul of state regulations on numerous occasions. It was closed last year after three employees were found to be unlicensed.