Maryland Man Who Planned to Bomb Abortion Business Will Stay in Jail

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jun 13, 2006   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Maryland Man Who Planned to Bomb Abortion Business Will Stay in Jail Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
June 13, 2006

Greenbelt, MD ( — A Maryland man who stands accused of planning to bomb a local abortion business will remain in jail as he awaits his trail on several charges. Robert Weiler, a 25 year-old Forestville resident, waived his right to challenge his detention while he waits for the trial to begin.

Magistrate Judge Charles Day called for a preliminary hearing in the case on June 22.

During his appearance in court on Monday, Weiler wore a pro-life t-shirt that teenagers across the nation wore in April for National Pro-Life T-Shirt Day. It has the message "Help Cure Abortion" on the front and a back message tells viewers that abortion is the leading cause of death in the United States.

According to an AP report, Weiler only gave his name and answered yes or no questions but did not make any statement. His parents, who recently said they turned their son over to authorities, did not give any comments after the hearing.

Weiler’s father, Robert Weiler Sr., previously told the Washington Post that he felt he had no other options than to contact police and tell them of his son’s plans. He and his wife Catherine are both pro-life but they don’t support violence as a means to stop the violence of abortion.

"[O]ur concern was just to make sure nobody got hurt," he said.

"It’s just something that he believed in very fervently, and in my opinion he went way over the top," Weiler told the Post. "We became aware of what he was doing, and we felt obligated to contact the police."

Weiler told the newspaper his son, who had been living with them, disappeared from their home a week prior to the incident.

Robert Weiler was arrested around 12:30 am Thursday.

Police went to the home of a friend where the homemade bomb he planned to use was located. The bomb went off as a technician attempted to disabled it. No one was injured, but the house was set ablaze.

The target of his planned attack appeared to be Metropolitan Family Planning Clinic abortion business in Greenbelt, Maryland.

He was charged with four counts of making a destructive device and possessing an illegal handgun.