British Abortion Practitioner Who Nearly Killed Woman Can Work if Retrained

National   |   Steven Ertelt   |   May 3, 2006   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

British Abortion Practitioner Who Nearly Killed Woman Can Work if Retrained Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt Editor
May 3, 2006

Birmingham, England ( — A British abortion practitioner who nearly killed a woman in a botched abortion and was the subject of charges of sexual harassment from 35 women can practice medicine again if he undergoes retraining to update his medical skills. That’s the ruling of the British General Medical Council, which Andrew Gbinigie asked to remove restrictions placed on him.

The GMC also announced that it will review Gbinigie’s case in nine months to determine if he has sufficiently undergone retraining that will allow him to stay on the register of doctors.

"The panel notes Dr. Gbinigie has not undertaken any medical work since 2003 but is not satisfied that he would be safe to return at this time to unrestricted practice," GMC chairman Dr. Howard Freeman said.

The GMC indicated earlier this year that Gbinigie could continue working as long as he followed certain restrictions. Those included only working at hospitals with intensive care facilities and not performing abortions or work in gynecology.

Though he is not working currently, he must notify the GNC of any future employment and tell his employer about the restrictions the medical board has placed on him.

After the hearing, Gbinigie told reporters he did not plan to perform abortions again.

"I don’t intend to have anything to do with terminations any more," he said.

"I have not performed any terminations whatsoever and I don’t intend to perform any in future because I have made that decision," he added. "I was very unhappy with the outcome of Miss A and I take full responsibility for it."

The abortion practitioner is referring to a November 2000 abortion that placed the restrictions on him.

In the failed abortion, Gbinigie pulled out a woman’s ovary and part of her bowel. The abortion ripped a hole in the woman’s womb and tore away part of her kidney and she needed five hours of emergency surgery to repair the damage.

Later, after obtaining a job working at Liverpool Women’s Hospital, 35 women accused him of sexual harassment. Fifteen eventually agreed to testify against him but the GMC failed to take any action against him.

However, he has been unable to find a job at a medical facility since then.