by Steven Ertelt
July 19, 2005
Livermore, CA (LifeNews.com) — A day after the maker of the dangerous RU 486 abortion drug admitted five women had died from using it, including one recent death, the father one of the women who died says he suspects more women are dead because of the pills.
Monty Patterson’s 18 year-old daughter Holly died from an infection brought on by the Mifeprex abortion drug in September 2003. Her death came one week after taking the RU 486 abortion pill.
Patterson disputed a press release distributed by Danco Laboratories, the maker of the abortion pill, which announced Monday that it would change the pill’s label to comply with an 8-month old FDA request despite not agreeing that the drugs were responsible for the deaths of five women.
"I feel strongly that this drug predisposes women to serious bacterial infections," Patterson told the Contra Costa Times newspaper.
Danco announced that, of the five women who died, four lived in California. Patterson said that was unusual and questioned whether the number of women who have died after using the drug is being underreported.
"These are the reported problems, and I think there’s a serious problem with underreporting in the United States," he said.
"Doctors have to be vigilant in looking for signs and symptoms that result from taking this drug and reporting them to the manufacturer," he added.
In a statement released Monday, Danco admitted it has received "reports of five deaths from serious bacterial infection and sepsis" since the FDA approved its application to sell the abortion pill in September 2000.
Danco reports that two women died in 2003, one in early 2004, and "a recent one in mid 2005." The company did not reveal any additional information about the recent death.
Danco denies its drug is responsible for the women’s deaths.
"No causal relationship between these [women’s deaths] and the use of Mifeprex and misoprostol has been established," Danco said Monday.
However, Frank Gentle, supervising coroner investigator who looked into Patterson’s death, said "septic shock, due to endomyometritis (inflammation) due to therapeutic, drug-induced abortion," caused Patterson’s death. Endomyometritis is an inflammation of the mucous membrane lining of the uterus.
In other words, "the abortion caused inflammation, which caused the shock, which caused her death," Gentle said.
According to Danco, more than 500,000 women have used the mifepristone abortion drug.