by Steven Ertelt
February 25, 2005
Clearwater, FL (LifeNews.com) — In an interview with the Florida Baptist Witness newspaper, euthanasia advocate George Felos, who is Michael Schiavo’s lead attorney, apologized for Michael’s affair. The estranged husband of Terri has been living with another woman and already has two children with her.
On Wednesday afternoon, following a decision to extend the stay preventing Terri’s starvation death for another 48 hours, Felos told the Witness that Michael “deeply loves Terri” despite his living with Jodi Centonze, who has been described as his fiance.
Michael is still legally married to Terri, but that hasn’t stopped him from having two children with Centonze.
“He simply is not gong to walk away from that promise he made to [Terri] when she said, ‘Honey, don’t keep me alive like that,’” Felos said.
While Michael claims to be faithfully upholding that disputed promise, he’s walked about from his marriage vows by virtue of the affair, Terri’s parents Bob and Mary Schindler have said. Yet, Felos apologized for Michael’s actions.
“I think it’s hard-hearted to say to somebody whose spouse has Alzheimer’s, or whose spouse has had some catastrophic accident, that they are consigned to a life of loneliness and then can’t form other relationships," Felos told the Witness newspaper. "That’s a moral judgment and you know, I think people have different views on it.”
The Schindlers say that Michael’s actions during the trial that has lasted over a decade are consistent with his desire to "move on" with his life:
* Michael has provided Terri with no therapy or rehabilitative treatment since 1991 and no tests since 1993.
* Terri’s teeth have not been cleaned since 1995 and she had 5 teeth extracted in 2004 as a result.
* Terri has been prohibited by Michael from going outdoors since 2000. She is not allowed to have music or flowers and cards and holiday decorations are taken down soon after the Schindler family puts them up.
* Michael has routinely denied Terri’s parents medical information, violating a court order and they were taken off approved visitor lists for a total of 8 months from 2001 through 2004.
* Michael has frequently prohibited a Catholic priest from visiting Terri and offering her a blessing or communion.
* Michael melted down Terri’s wedding ring to have one made for himself and had her cats euthanized even though the Schindlers offered to care for them.
Related web sites:
Terri Schiavo’s parents – https://www.LifeNews.com