Woman Rushed to Hospital After Botched Abortion in Kansas

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Jan 13, 2005   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Woman Rushed to Hospital After Botched Abortion in Kansas Email this article
Printer friendly page

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
January 13, 2005

Wichita, KS (LifeNews.com) — A woman was rushed to a local hospital Thursday after a botched abortion at the facility of infamous late-term abortion practitioner George Tiller. The abortion business was accused of botching another abortion in September.

With sirens blaring and emergency lights flashing, an ambulance rushed the woman from the abortion facility to Wesley Medical Center Thursday morning.

"They almost caused an accident at the intersection," said Brenna Sullenger, who witnessed the arrival of the ambulance at Wesley. "They were in a big hurry."

Edna Roach, a nurse’s assistant who frequently accompanies injured women to the local hospital, was the first staff member of the abortion facility to arrive. Witnesses say she carried what appeared to be medical files into the emergency room.

The ambulance arrived moments later.

Cheryl Sullenger also witnessed the scene and said paramedics "very grim and in a very big rush to get the woman inside."

The woman, whose identity was not released by either the hospital or abortion business, was covered with a blanket, Sullenger said.

Tiller and abortion facility employee Sara Phares arrived shortly after the ambulance, according to eyewitnesses.

Meanwhile, back at the abortion facility, pro-life advocates said a security guard refused to allow a local reported to enter the building for an interview.

Troy Newman, president of a local Operation Rescue group, responded to the incident, saying, "Babies are dying and women are being maimed."

"As we near the 32nd memorial of Roe v. Wade, we must ask ourselves how much more human tragedy must we endure before we will take action to stop abortion now," he said.

In September, there were reports of an ambulance arriving at Tiller’s Woman’s Health Care Services to pick up an African American woman, "visibly writhing in pain." The woman was also taken to Wesley Medical Center.

Mary Kay Culp, executive director of Kansans for Life, told LifeNews.com that abortion practitioners don’t want ambulances showing up at their businesses, and will frequently use private vehicles or taxis to transport injured women to the hospital.

"For an ambulance to show up, it must have serious," said Culp.