by Steven Ertelt
September 23, 2004
Detroit, MI (LifeNews.com) — The attorney for assisted suicide crusader Jack Kevorkian has appealed to the Supreme Court to allow him a new trial regarding his conviction in the euthanasia death of a disabled man.
In papers filed last week, Mayer Morganroth asked the nation’s high court to review Kevorkian’s case on the grounds that he did not receive a fair trial.
"If it wasn’t Kevorkian’s name on the case, there would have been a different decision," Morganroth said after 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied his request for a new trial in June.
Kevorkian was convicted in 1999 of second-degree murder for killing a man with Lou Gehrig’s disease and sentenced for 10 to 25 years in prison. He is not eligible for parole until 2007.
Tom Marzen, a pro-life attorney who specializes in end-of-life issues, told LifeNews.com after the 6th Circuit’s decision, "Jack Kevorkian thumbed his nose at the legal system so many times, it isn’t surprising that the courts are not now willing to give him another chance to do so."
Kevorkian’s attorneys lost their appeals on the state level and turned to the federal courts to make their case.
Meanwhile, Kevorkian, the infamous "Dr. Death" who claims to have killed more than 130 patients via assisted suicide, is shopping around his autobiography to publishers. The potential book would cover his life and discuss the nationwide euthanasia controversy his actions sparked.
The Life of Dr. Death, which Dr. Kevorkian would write with two associates, could also find its way to theaters if a proposed movie deal is also accepted.
Kevorkian, who is 75, suffers from a number of medical problems and should be released because of those as well, Morganroth argues.