Terri Schiavo Prematurely Released from Hospital, Family Worried

Bioethics   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Aug 29, 2003   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Terri Schiavo Prematurely Released from Hospital, Family Worried

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
August 29, 2003

Clearwater, FL (LifeNews.com) — Only five days after she was admitted for a serious illness, Terri Schiavo has been prematurely released from a Florida hospital and transferred back to the hospice facility where she is a resident.

Terri was first admitted to the hospital for coughing up blood and later released. According to court documents, she was admitted a second time with "fever, labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea and ‘substantial infection.’"

Pamela Hennessy, a representative of the family, tells LifeNews.com that Circuit Court Judge George Greer ruled on Tuesday that Terri’s current medical treatment would not be interrupted. However, Greer approved a request by Michael Schiavo’s attorney George Felos asking Terri to be released.

Federal law prohibits medical facilities from releasing patients before they have been stabilized. A patient can give consent to be released and, as Terri’s guardian, Michael can provide that consent.

Following Greer’s order Friday, the family learned Felos, a euthanasia advocate, would be out of town next week. Now they are concerned Terri won’t live through the weekend and that the hospital release is intended to kill Terri before Felos leaves town.

Hennessy said the family "fears that this move is intended as an ‘exit protocol’ with the intention of hastening Terri’s death."

Family members say Terri’s care was ended prematurely and that she should have remained at the hospital.

Terri’s sister, Suzanne Schindler-Carr, speaking from the hospice where Terri has returned, said "There can’t be any way Terri was well enough to leave the hospital. She’s still such a very sick girl."

During both hospitalizations, Michael Schiavo is accused of denying the family complete information about Terri’s medical condition, in an apparently violation of a 1996 court order. His actions were slated to be the subject of a September 11 hearing, where Judge Greer had also planned to decide whether Terri’s feeding tube would be removed.

Hennessy told LifeNews.com that some medical information had been faxed to family attorney Pat Anderson, but Felos’ medical reports "have been conflicting and contradicting of each other."

Related web sites:

Terri’s Fight – https://www.terrisfight.org