Bomb at Denver Planned Parenthood May Have Targeted Pro-Lifers

State   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Aug 27, 2003   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Bomb at Denver Planned Parenthood May Have Targeted Pro-Lifers

by Steven Ertelt Editor
August 27, 2003

Denver, CO ( — A small, homemade bomb went off Tuesday morning outside a Denver Planned Parenthood abortion business. However, it may have been two pro-life protesters who were the targets.

A plastic bottle contained a chemical mixture inside of it. The chemicals likely caused gas to build up inside the bottle making it explode, Denver Police Department bomb squad Detective David Haley said.

Haley said the explosion could have caused damaged or burns to anyone the chemical contacted.

No one was near the bottle when it exploded and the chemicals splattered a few feet around the bottle.

According to the husband of one of the protesters, it appears whomever planted the bomb was targeting them — not the abortion facility.

Jo Scott was one of the two protesters at the abortion facility.

Her husband Ken tells, "Jo was gathering the literature that she would need" from her van and went 30 feet over to the first person arriving to have an abortion "when a loud bang rang out."

"It sounded like an M80," Ken Scott said. "As Jo returned to her van she noticed something had exploded on the ground just behind it."

Jo called the other protester over to her. "As they approached the site they were quickly deterred by a caustic smell that closed their airways until they retreated and were able to breathe fresh air," Scott explained. The pair quickly called 911.

"The van was splattered inside and out with the liquid which melted the upholstery and the ceiling liner in places," Scott told "The rugs on the floor were burned by fire in spots — it looks as though someone was using a cigarette to burn
holes into the rug."

Robbie Ruhaak, spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, said the explosion didn’t stop abortions from happening.

However, the presence of police and emergency personnel, and the taped off area deterred at least two people from keeping their abortion appointments, according to Scott.