Terri Schiavo Leaves Hospital, Family Files Lawsuit

Bioethics   |   Steven Ertelt   |   Aug 22, 2003   |   9:00AM   |   WASHINGTON, DC

Terri Schiavo Leaves Hospital, Family Files Lawsuit

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
August 22, 2003

Clearweater, FL (LifeNews.com) — Terri Schiavo has left the hospital she entered following reports she was coughing up blood. However, her family still says it doesn’t have any answers about her medical condition because her husband, Michael, is violating a court order and refusing to disclose the information.

His actions prompted family members to file a motion instructing him to release the latest information to them. A 1996 court order requires Michael Schiavo to make medical information available to Terri’s parents.

Bob and Mary Schindler, Terri’s parents, and her siblings have been involved in a long, drawn-out legal battle with Michael over a judge’s decision to allow Michael to remove a feeding tube keeping Terri alive.

Following Terri’s hospitalization on August 13, Michael told the hospital not to release information about Terri’s condition to either the family or media. Friends of Terri and her family were not allowed to visit, including a Catholic priest who has been placed on an approved list of visitors by the court.

In a hearing Thursday, Deborah Bushnel, one of Michael’s attorneys, told Circuit Judge George W. Greer that Terri’s family was provided the medical information in a timely fashion.

That’s not true, according to Pat Anderson, an attorney for the family.

Anderson pointed out that the Schindler’s had only learned of Terri’s admittance to Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater after she phoned Michael’s attorney’s office pleading for information.

Greer asked Michael Schiavo’s main attorney, George Felos, to consider releasing Terri’s hospital discharge records to the Schindlers.

Greer signed the original order allowing Terri to be killed.

Felos said the records would likely be given to the family soon and that Terri’s recent hospitalization "wasn’t serious."

Terri has been moved back to the hospice where she has been receiving some medical care.

Greer instructed both sides to get together to work out a visitation schedule for the family to see Terri. If an agreement can’t be reached, Greer said he would call another hearing next week.

The family is waiting to hear whether or not the Florida Supreme Court will hear their appeal of an Appeal Court’s decision to uphold the order to remove Terri’s feeding tube.

"Unless the Florida Supreme Court agrees to hear the case within the next two days, it will be mandated back to Judge Greer’s court where he will order the removal of her
feeding tube, thereby ending her life," Pamela Hennessy, who is helping Terri’s family, told LifeNews.com.

Related Web Sites

Terri’s Parents – https://www.terrisfight.org