One Planned Parenthood affiliate is asking women to host “Galentine’s Day” parties and fundraise with “safe sex themed Valentines,” complete with “vagina and birth control cupcakes.”
In a “toolkit” obtained by Bustle, the Planned Parenthood of New York City (PPNYC) Activist Council insisted that women turn their Galentine’s Day into a “fearless fundraising extravaganza!” Held the day before Valentine’s Day, Galentine’s Day (a term coined by Parks and Recreation) is about “ladies celebrating ladies.” However, PPNYC urged, “you should feel free to invite folks from any gender identity you choose!”
“Hosting a Galentine’s Day PPNYC fundraiser is a fun way to celebrate your gal pals AND raise money for sexual and reproductive health access!” the toolkit encouraged. “So grab your waffle maker and get started!”
For food, PPNYC suggested hosting a potluck as well as backing “reproductive health themed goodies” including “Vagina” and “Birth Control Cupcakes!”
And, if women decided to host such a house party, they should contact the NYC affiliate for a heads up. The toolkit included the following “sample goals”:
- “Get at least 10-40 people to attend.”
- “Set a specific dollar amount goal.”
- “Ask everyone to ‘donate their age’ in a one-time donation or as a recurring, monthly donation.” (Really? Donate your age so a child never gets to?)
- “Make sure everyone at your event signs up for PPNYC’s weekly email actions.”
And the suggested “activities” added:
- “Send PPNYC safe sex themed Valentines.”
- “Download and color your own resistance coloring pages.”
- “Listen to PP inspired playlists or create your own.”
- “Enjoy fancy, feminist-themed cocktails.”
- “Marathon episodes of Parks & Rec or ‘treat yourselves’ with homemade face masks.”
- “Do some crafts like handmade cards to thank a health center care worker or abortion provider.”
For its part, Bustle contributed by listing additional ideas, including photobooths and gift raffles.
PPNYC Activist Council fundraising group co-chair Alissa Vladimir revealed to Bustle that her group “came up with this idea and developed the Galentine’s Party Toolkit to raise money in a fun, low-key way with friends.”
She added that women can also host these parties to support their own local Planned Parenthoods or the national organization.
Speaking of the national organization, according to Planned Parenthood’s most recently published annual report, it performed 321,384 abortions and received $543.7 million in “government health services, reimbursements & grants” for the year 2016 – 2017. Not much to celebrate.
And, in regards to New York City, 1 of every 3 babies are aborted in the country’s most populated city.