In response to news reports that Cecile Richards will step down after twelve years as head of Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion business, the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) released the following statement:
“For twelve years, Richards has been a strong leader in a tragically wrong direction,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Planned Parenthood is swimming against the tide of history. Its public favor is on the wane as pro-life momentum is on the rise. Her successor is left with an impossible job: sell a scandal-laden, failing organization that, contradicting its name, provides pregnant women with prenatal care only 2.3 percent of the time. Over the last few years despite record income courtesy of U.S. taxpayers, Planned Parenthood’s non-abortion services are in decline, clients are abandoning them for comprehensive alternatives, and dozens of facilities have closed. They are facing federal investigation for their role in the harvest and sale of aborted babies’ body parts for profit. Under the pro-life Trump administration, their half billion dollars a year in taxpayer funding is no longer secure.”
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest abortion business with more than 35 percent of the national market for abortions. It is not a significant provider of medical care in the United States.
According to Planned Parenthood’s 2016-17 annual report (view fact sheet):
- Planned Parenthood performed 321,384 abortions in 2016 and more than 1.6 million abortions (1,628,550) over the past five reported years (2012-2017).
- In 2016, abortions made up 96% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy resolution services, while prenatal services, miscarriage care, and adoption referrals accounted for only 2.3% (7,762), 0.4% (1,182) and 1.2% (3,889), respectively.
- Prenatal services dropped nearly 18% in 2016 and more than 60% over the past five reported years.
- For every adoption referral in 2016, Planned Parenthood performed more than 82 abortions. Over the past five reported years, the ratio was approx. 126 abortions for every adoption referral.
According to the last five years of data from Planned Parenthood’s own annual reports:
- Total services are down nearly 13%.
- Total cancer screening and prevention services have dropped by more than 41%, including declines of approximately 39% for breast exams and 43% for pap tests.
- Contraceptive services are down nearly 28%.
- Unique patients have dropped by 600,000 – a 20% decline.
- Approximately 100 (14%) of Planned Parenthood facilities have closed their doors.