Gov. Terry McAuliffe went to a Planned Parenthood abortion clinic today to veto a bill that defunds the abortion business.
Virginia state lawmakers passed a bill earlier this year to slash taxpayer funding from abortion groups and redirect the money to comprehensive health care providers.
State Del. Benjamin Cline, R-Amherst, who sponsored the bill, said the legislation would defund Planned Parenthood and redirect the taxpayer funds to health care groups that provide comprehensive care to families. He previously said the abortion groups addressed in the bill serve a “niche” and that state-controlled money should go to providers offering many of the same services and others with “none of the controversy.”
Cline said Planned Parenthood could continue receiving taxpayer money if it got out of the abortion business.
“It’s up to them whether they want to provide non-Medicaid funded abortions,” Cline said.
But Governor McAuliffe, a longtime abortion advocate, vetoed the bill today. He ignored the abortion component of Planned Parenthood’s operation and claimed the defunding bill attacks women’s health.
“We’re here today to smack down the latest attack on women’s health care rights,” McAuliffe said, speaking to a group of Planned Parenthood patients, board members and staff. “I am very proud of my strong record on reproductive rights, and let me tell you this, I am very proud to veto this particular piece of legislation.”
The bill would have stopped the Department of Health from entering into a contract with or making a grant to an entity, other than a hospital, that performs abortions outside of those done in cases of rape, incest or a fetal deformity.
McAuliffe said the legislation would stop existing contracts between the health department and the Virginia League for Planned Parenthood to do about 500 STD tests a year at the nonprofit’s facilities in Richmond, Virginia Beach and Hampton.
“It’s no secret that this bill is aimed at destroying Planned Parenthood,” said McAuliffe, who said such a law would not make the state appear welcoming to new businesses. “We will not tolerate socially divisive issues that put walls up.”
Cline, in a statement, said:
“I am disappointed that Governor McAuliffe chose to veto this important legislation that would redirect taxpayer dollars toward more comprehensive providers of health care services for women. The Governor is clearly listening to his friends in the abortion lobby, rather than ensuring that women have access to quality care.”
“We now know how much money it costs to purchase a veto from Terry McAuliffe – right around $2 million in campaign contributions,” Victoria Cobb, president of The Family Foundation of Virginia, said in a news release. “If there’s one issue on which Governor McAuliffe has been ideologically rigid it is his unwavering support and protection of the $1 billion abortion industry.”
The bill would prohibit the Virginia Health Department from giving grants or contracts to “any entity that performs abortions that are not federally qualified abortions or maintains or operates a facility where non-federally qualified abortions are performed.” Hospitals are exempted, according to the report.
Olivia Gans Turner, president of Virginia Society for Human Life, told LifeNews that the bill would protect Virginia women as well as taxpayer dollars.
“Virginia Society for Human Life strongly supports HB1090 which ensures that legitimate health care agencies, such as hospitals and total health care clinics, will get full access to Virginia taxpayer dollars before any funds could go to abortion promoters, like Planned Parenthood,” Gans Turner said. “This bill protects women by expanding the money available to health care providers that actually provide complete health care to women and girls, not just abortions.”
The de-funding bill comes after multiple videos found the Planned Parenthood abortion company selling the body parts of aborted babies. The expose’ videos catching Planned Parenthood officials selling the body parts of aborted babies have shocked the nation. Here is a list of all twelve:
- In the first video: Dr. Deborah Nucatola of Planned Parenthood commented on baby-crushing: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”
- In the second video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Mary Gatter joked, “I want a Lamborghini” as she negotiated the best price for baby parts.
- In the third video: Holly O’Donnell, a former Stem Express employee who worked inside a Planned Parenthood clinic, detailed first-hand the unspeakable atrocities and how she fainted in horror over handling baby legs.
- In the fourth video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Savita Ginde stated, “We don’t want to do just a flat-fee (per baby) of like, $200. A per-item thing works a little better, just because we can see how much we can get out of it.” She also laughed while looking at a plate of fetal kidneys that were “good to go.”
- In the fifth video: Melissa Farrell of Planned Parenthood-Gulf Coast in Houston boasted of Planned Parenthood’s skill in obtaining “intact fetal cadavers” and how her “research” department “contributes so much to the bottom line of our organization here, you know we’re one of the largest affiliates, our Research Department is the largest in the United States.”
- In the sixth video: Holly O’Donnell described technicians taking fetal parts without patient consent: “There were times when they would just take what they wanted. And these mothers don’t know. And there’s no way they would know.”
- In the seventh and perhaps most disturbing video: Holly O’Donnell described the harvesting, or “procurement,” of organs from a nearly intact late-term fetus aborted at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s Alameda clinic in San Jose, CA. “‘You want to see something kind of cool,’” O’Donnell says her supervisor asked her. “And she just taps the heart, and it starts beating. And I’m sitting here and I’m looking at this fetus, and its heart is beating, and I don’t know what to think.”
- In the eighth video: StemExpress CEO Cate Dyer admits Planned Parenthood sells “a lot of” fully intact aborted babies.
- The ninth video: catches a Planned Parenthood medical director discussing how the abortion company sells fully intact aborted babies — including one who “just fell out” of the womb.
- The 10th video: catches the nation’s biggest abortion business selling specific body parts — including the heart, eyes and “gonads” of unborn babies. The video also shows the shocking ways in which Planned Parenthood officials admit that they are breaking federal law by selling aborted baby body parts for profit.
- Unreleased Videos: Unreleased videos from CMP show Deb Vanderhei of Planned Parenthood caught on tape talking about how Planned Parenthood abortion business affiliates may “want to increase revenue [from selling baby parts] but we can’t stop them…” Another video has a woman talking about the “financial incentives” of selling aborted baby body parts.
- The 11th video: catches a Texas Planned Parenthood abortionist planning to sell the intact heads of aborted babies for research. Amna Dermish is caught on tape describing an illegal partial-birth abortion procedure to terminate living, late-term unborn babies which she hopes will yield intact fetal heads for brain harvesting.
- The 12th video in the series shows new footage of Jennefer Russo, medical director at Planned Parenthood in Orange County, California, describing to undercover investigators how her abortion business tries to harvest intact aborted babies’ bodies for a local for-profit biotech company and changes the abortion procedure to do so.