A Congressional investigation that is digging deeper into evidence about whether Planned Parenthood illegally profited off the sale of aborted babies’ body parts has abortion activists upset.
The New York Times reports that the U.S. House panel is getting ready to issue 17 subpoenas for the names of researchers, graduate students, lab technicians and administrators involved in fetal tissue harvesting and research. Citing violence against abortionists, pro-abortion advocates are claiming the release of the names could threaten the safety of those involved, according to the report.
Pro-life leaders in Congress launched the Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives last year after a series of undercover videos showed top Planned Parenthood officials selling aborted babies’ body parts. The committee, made up of Republicans and Democrats, will spend a year investigating the harvesting of aborted babies’ body parts in the abortion industry and the connection to scientific research. The work of this panel is occurring in addition to the ongoing investigations at the House Judiciary and Oversight and Government Reform Committees.
U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, a leading pro-life Republican from Tennessee, chairs the panel.
“We are going to review the business practices of these procurement organizations and do some investigating of how they have constructed a for-profit business model from selling baby body parts,” Blackburn said in an interview with the newspaper.
According to the report:
For universities, the House investigation has become deeply unsettling. University officials fear that the release of the names sought by lawmakers could endanger lives if anti-abortion activists decide to target those involved in fetal tissue research.
Many of the schools and organizations blacked out names and other identifying information before submitting hundreds of pages of research documents in response to the committee’s requests for information. “U.C.S.D. has redacted individually identifying information from the enclosed documents,” the University of California, San Diego, stated in its cover letter, citing security concerns.
But those redactions frustrated committee investigators and prompted the subpoenas.
Democrats on the House panel called the effort blatant intimidation.
“It’s one step further than McCarthyism, because McCarthy just threatened people’s jobs,” said Representative Jerrold Nadler, Democrat of New York. “They’re threatening people’s lives.”
The New York Times reporting about the Colorado Springs shooting is not entirely accurate, however. Dear, who may be found mentally incompetent to stand trial, did not enter the Planned Parenthood abortion facility or shoot any patients or staff. He later said his target was the FBI and federal government. Dear did not have any connections to the pro-life movement but appeared to be a lone, crazed gunman. Pro-life groups quickly condemned the shooting, just as they oppose the violence against unborn babies that occurs in abortion clinics every day in America.
Likewise, Blackburn said she wants everyone involved in the investigation to be safe.
“We all are concerned for individual safety,” Blackburn said. “It’s important to note that we have to have the names of some of the individuals who are carrying out these practices in order to investigate the practice.”
The committee already has uncovered some evidence about the violence against unborn babies, whose bodies are then being used for research. According to the report:
Tissue and organ harvesting can seem a gruesome business to nonmedical people, and some of the documents and emails unearthed by the committee paint a chilling portrait of its humdrum nature.
In an email exchange between a researcher and an abortion clinic technician, the researcher placed an order for a fetus with an intact skull. The technician replied that an abortion then underway could suffice.
Keep up with the latest pro-life news and information on Twitter. Follow @LifeNewsHQ
“The calvarium is mostly intact, with a tear up the back suture line, but all pieces look to be there,” the technician wrote in an email dated Jan. 22, 2015. “The limbs, one upper and one lower, are totally intact, with one upper broken at the humerus, and one lower broken right above the knee. Please let me know if these are acceptable. I have set them aside and will await your reply.”
“That sounds great,” the researcher replied. “We would like both of them.”
Committee investigators say they have uncovered evidence of possible illegal profiteering, questionable consent forms and inappropriate collusion between scientists seeking fetal tissue and abortion providers.
Pro-abortion Democrats and the mainstream media have attacked the investigative panel from the start. Earlier this month, the New York Times ran an editorial blasting the panel as a “showcase for fallacious attacks on fetal tissue research.” The newspaper editorial board claimed the investigation is “baseless,” touting the lie that states have not found evidence of wrongdoing in their investigations of Planned Parenthood. LifeNews reported at least eight states have found evidence of wrong-doing since the undercover videos began exposing horrific abortion practices.
The results of the investigation could not only reveal potential illegal activity but also indicate where new oversite is needed. The federal law that technically prohibits the sale of aborted babies and their body parts was written by a pro-abortion Congressman decades ago and essentially spells out a process by which sellers of aborted baby body parts can meet certain criteria that allows the sales to be legal. That’s why a Colorado congressman has introduced legislation to totally ban the sales of aborted baby body parts.
The expose’ videos catching Planned Parenthood officials selling the body parts of aborted babies have shocked the nation. Here is a list of all twelve:
- In the first video: Dr. Deborah Nucatola of Planned Parenthood commented on baby-crushing: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”
- In the second video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Mary Gatter joked, “I want a Lamborghini” as she negotiated the best price for baby parts.
- In the third video: Holly O’Donnell, a former Stem Express employee who worked inside a Planned Parenthood clinic, detailed first-hand the unspeakable atrocities and how she fainted in horror over handling baby legs.
- In the fourth video: Planned Parenthood’s Dr. Savita Ginde stated, “We don’t want to do just a flat-fee (per baby) of like, $200. A per-item thing works a little better, just because we can see how much we can get out of it.” She also laughed while looking at a plate of fetal kidneys that were “good to go.”
- In the fifth video: Melissa Farrell of Planned Parenthood-Gulf Coast in Houston boasted of Planned Parenthood’s skill in obtaining “intact fetal cadavers” and how her “research” department “contributes so much to the bottom line of our organization here, you know we’re one of the largest affiliates, our Research Department is the largest in the United States.”
- In the sixth video: Holly O’Donnell described technicians taking fetal parts without patient consent: “There were times when they would just take what they wanted. And these mothers don’t know. And there’s no way they would know.”
- In the seventh and perhaps most disturbing video: Holly O’Donnell described the harvesting, or “procurement,” of organs from a nearly intact late-term fetus aborted at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s Alameda clinic in San Jose, CA. “‘You want to see something kind of cool,’” O’Donnell says her supervisor asked her. “And she just taps the heart, and it starts beating. And I’m sitting here and I’m looking at this fetus, and its heart is beating, and I don’t know what to think.”
- In the eighth video: StemExpress CEO Cate Dyer admits Planned Parenthood sells “a lot of” fully intact aborted babies.
- The ninth video: catches a Planned Parenthood medical director discussing how the abortion company sells fully intact aborted babies — including one who “just fell out” of the womb.
- The 10th video: catches the nation’s biggest abortion business selling specific body parts — including the heart, eyes and “gonads” of unborn babies. The video also shows the shocking ways in which Planned Parenthood officials admit that they are breaking federal law by selling aborted baby body parts for profit.
- Unreleased Videos: Unreleased videos from CMP show Deb Vanderhei of Planned Parenthood caught on tape talking about how Planned Parenthood abortion business affiliates may “want to increase revenue [from selling baby parts] but we can’t stop them…” Another video has a woman talking about the “financial incentives” of selling aborted baby body parts.
- The 11th video: catches a Texas Planned Parenthood abortionist planning to sell the intact heads of aborted babies for research. Amna Dermish is caught on tape describing an illegal partial-birth abortion procedure to terminate living, late-term unborn babies which she hopes will yield intact fetal heads for brain harvesting.
- The 12th video in the series shows new footage of Jennefer Russo, medical director at Planned Parenthood in Orange County, California, describing to undercover investigators how her abortion business tries to harvest intact aborted babies’ bodies for a local for-profit biotech company and changes the abortion procedure to do so.