Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio today announced the creation of a pro-life advisory board — a group of pro-life leaders who will advise him on key pro-life issues through his presidential campaign and potentially into his presidency.
The board of pro-life leaders who will be working with Rubio throughout his campaign to help him shape his pro-life message and reach out to pro-life voters reads like a who’s who of some of the top leaders of the pro-life movement. The group includes key evangelicals like Albert Mohler and George Wood, former Planned Parenthood abortion clinic director Abby Johnson, top pro-life attorneys Steve Aden and Helen Alvare and activists like Kristan Hawkins and Scott Klusendorf.
“Abortion is not a political issue to me, it’s a human rights issue. It involves a fundamental question about who is worthy of the protection of our laws that reveals the kind of nation we are,” Rubio told LifeNews in exclusive comments in association with the announcement. “The inherent dignity of every human life is the foundational principle on which America was founded, though we have, to our shame, too often failed to live up to that standard. Someday, hopefully in our lifetimes, but certainly someday, Americans will look back and wonder how we could possibly have been so barbaric.”
Rubio told LifeNews that the advisory board “will help me ensure we are doing everything possible to get us to that point.”
“Our team reached out to those we consider authorities on the dignity of human life representing a diverse range of backgrounds, including women and men, scholars, religious leaders, legal experts, and activists,” Rubio told LifeNews concerning the makeup of the panel. “We are especially proud to be working with those who understand the broader ethic of human life that applies to all those on the margins of society, including women facing the crisis of an unplanned pregnancy, the poor, disabled, sick, and elderly.”
The advisory board comes on the heels of a new pro-life commercial Rubio released saying the abortion issue is not just another political issue. For Rubio, who has a 100% pro-life voting record during his tenure in the Senate, abortion is about the human rights of unborn children.
Rubio’s pro-life advisory board includes the following members:
- Steve Aden, Senior Counsel and Director of Center for Life Alliances, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Helen Alvare, Professor of Law, George Mason University; Founder, Women Speak for Themselves
- Francis Beckwith, Professor of Philosophy and Church-State Studies, Baylor University
- Kristan Hawkins, President, Students for Life
- Abby Johnson, Founder, And Then There Were None
- Scott Klusendorf, President, Life Training Institute
- Ashley McGuire, Senior Fellow, The Catholic Association
- Albert Mohler, President, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Dr. George O. Wood, General Superintendent, Assemblies of God
- Ravi Zacharias, Founder and President, Ravi Zacharias International Ministries
*Institutional affiliations for identification purposes only.