92% of Pregnant Women at Planned Parenthood Get Abortions
by Steven Ertelt | Washington, DC | LifeNews.com | 1/8/13 2:02 PM
Yesterday, LifeNews broke the story about the new annual report the Planned Parenthood abortion business released, showing it did a record number of abortions during 2011-2012.
Today, the Susan B. Anthony List broke some of the figures down further. They show 92 percent of pregnant women going to Planned Parenthood get abortions while a handful get prenatal support or adoption referrals. Although Planned Parenthood likes to talk about getting hundreds of millions in federal funding for family planning, the numbers show abortions are up while contraception services are down.
From the SBA List breakdown of the numbers from the PPFA annual report:
- During fiscal year 2011-2012, Planned Parenthood reported receiving a record $542 million in taxpayer funding2 in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements. Taxpayer funding consists of 45%3 of Planned Parenthood’s annual revenue.
- In 2011, Planned Parenthood performed a record high 333,964 abortions.
- Over the past three reported years (2009-2011), Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (995,687).
- Planned Parenthood reported a total of three million clients in 2011, meaning that 11% of all Planned Parenthood clients received an abortion.
- In 2011, abortions made up 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care and adoption referrals accounted for only 7% (28,674) and 0.6% (2,300), respectively. For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 145 abortions.
- Cancer screening & prevention services and contraceptive services provided by Planned Parenthood continue to drop. Contraceptive services have dropped by 12% since 2009, and cancer screening & prevention services have dropped by 29%.
- Planned Parenthood reported $87.4 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.2 billion in net assets.
“Planned Parenthood has spent much of the last few years demanding that taxpayers add millions more to their coffers, citing their non-profit status and so-called focus on women’s health,” said SBA List president Marjorie Dannenfelser. “What have we received for our money? While government subsidies to Planned Parenthood have reached an all time high, so too has the number of lives ended by this profit-driven abortion business. Destroying nearly one million children in three years is not health care and does not reflect a concern for vulnerable women and girls. As Planned Parenthood’s funding goes up, abortions increase and real health services for women go down.”
“As if these numbers weren’t already horrifying, Planned Parenthood has upped the ante even further by mandating that all affiliates provide abortions beginning this year. Americans are sick and tired of underwriting the nation’s largest abortion business. We call on Congress to immediately investigate and defund Planned Parenthood,” she added.
CLICK LIKE IF YOU’RE PRO-LIFE!
Charmaine Yoest of Americans United for Life also responded to the numbers.
Yoest observed: “Planned Parenthood’s annual report should be graded incomplete for at least one important reason. Beginning on January 1 of this year, Planned Parenthood is requiring every affiliate to operate at least one clinic that performs abortions. Planned Parenthood’s story in 2013 reveals an abortion-centered business model. The nation’s largest abortion provider continues to make ever-more money from the suffering of women and girls as the leader of Big Abortion.”