A top pro-life Catholic group says the choice for pro-life voters is clear when it comes to discerning between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama on the issue of abortion.
“The CatholicVote.org Research team has pored through the public statements and positions of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney on issues which matter to Catholics,” the CatholicVote organization says. “We believe the choice is clear: Catholics should vote for Mitt Romney for President.”
“We have life, marriage and religious liberty at the top of the list, because these issues are foundational. And on life, marriage and religious liberty, Mitt Romney is immeasurably better than Barack Obama,” the organization continues.
CatholicVote says abortion is an issue “which involves an intrinsic evil which can never be justified” and, on that alone, the group believes pro-life voters should support Romney over Obama, who has compiled a lengthy pro-abortion record.
The group laid out the case against Obama and for Romney:
Obama on life:
- Supports Roe v. Wade and affirms, “I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose.” (Source: White House Press Statement)
- As part of his healthcare legislation, almost every health insurance plan will be required to cover sterilizations and contraception–including birth control pills that can cause abortions–with no co-pay. (Source: US Department Health & Human Services)
- Overturned a law that prevented the government from giving aid to international family planning groups. Now our government can pay for people’s contraception (including abortifacients) overseas as well. (Source: White House Executive Order)
- His campaign boasts that he “stood up to Republicans trying to roll back a woman’s right to choose and defund Planned Parenthood.” He praises Planned Parenthood and refuses to cut government funding ($487 million in 2012) for the organization. Planned Parenthood performs on average 900 abortions per day. (Source: Huffington Post)
- In the Senate, he opposed a pro-life bill designed to prevent partial-birth abortions. (Source: IL General Assembly)
- Ended a ban on using taxpayer money to fund embryonic stem cell research, which kills human embryos. (Source: White House Executive Order)
- Eliminated conscience protections for medical workers who morally object to dispensing the morning-after pill (which is designed to destroy embryos). Recipients of federal money can now discriminate against these workers.(Source: Catholic News Agency)
- Promises to veto legislation that would prevent taxpayer funding of abortion.(Source: LifeNews.com)
- Obama is endorsed by pro-choice groups NARAL and Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood spent $1.4 million on an ad campaign for Obama. (Source: Planned Parenthood)
Romney on life:
- Believes abortions should be limited to only cases of rape or incest or to save the mother’s life. (Source: CBS News)
- Supports overturning Roe v. Wade and promises to appoint Supreme Court Justices who are committed to fair interpretation of the Constitution (Source: Life News)
- Supports the Hyde Amendment, which bars using federal tax revenue to pay for abortions (Source: Mitt Romney)
- Promises to support efforts to eliminate federal funding for Planned Parenthood (Source: Huffington Post)
- Promises to support the Mexico City Policy, which will bar NGOs that receive federal funding from promoting or performing abortions as a method of family planning in other countries. (Source: Mitt Romney)
CLICK LIKE IF YOU’RE PRO-LIFE!
- Promises to advocate for and support legislation that will make it illegal to destroy unborn children who are developmentally capable of feeling pain (Source: Life News)
- He says, “If I have the opportunity to serve as our nation’s next president, I commit to doing everything in my power to cultivate, promote, and support a culture of life in America.” (Source: Mitt Romney)
- As governor of Massachusetts, he vetoed a bill that would have allowed girls of any age to obtain emergency contraceptive pills (which are designed to destroy embryos) without parental consent (Source: Mitt Romney)
- As governor of Massachusetts, he opposed legislation that would allow the creation of human embryos for the purpose of stem cell research, which would result directly in the destruction of those embryos (Source: Romney at NRLC)