Obama’s HHS Mandate: Religious Liberty Thrown in the Trash
by Kristan Hawkins | Washington, DC | LifeNews.com | 8/1/12 12:53 PM
Today marks the beginning of the end of religious and conscience rights in America. As of today, employers, just like myself, will be forced to make a false choice between providing a vital service to their employees and violating their consciences and values.
While the courts have given a momentary reprieve to one family business in Colorado, today, all other businesses that employ more than 25 employees across America have been given the false choice of abandoning their conscience or religious beliefs or being taxed and fined out of business. And the clock has started ticking for Houses of Worships and other religious institutions to apply for an exemption before their deadline on August 1, 2013. Unfortunately, the requirements are so narrow that many who will apply will be not be exempt. Even Mother Theresa’s Order, the Missionaries of Charity, will not qualify for an exemption.
How many times have you heard news pundits and policy experts talk about how abortion and other social issues aren’t important when it comes to elections and the happenings here in Washington, D.C.?
Yet, time and time again, here we are – when abortion has become a fundamental issue and division line for our nation.
Friends, polls show that the majority of Americans are now pro-life and understand the importance of religious liberty and conscience rights.
And we know that HHS Abortion Pill Mandate isn’t about equality for women, and those of use who oppose it aren’t waging a war on women.
We are waging a war for the soul of our nation, for the very beliefs that this nation was founded upon.
Congressman Jeff Fortenberry has proposed the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act. If passed, this simple piece of legislation will stop the HHS Abortion-Pill Mandate and any other mandates like it “dead in its tracks.”
Congress is leaving Washington this Friday for their August recess and will be returning to their districts until Labor Day. Because it’s an election year, I guarantee you that your Members of Congress will be out and about during this month of August campaigning for job in Washington.
Today, please take 3 minutes and personally email (http://studentsforlife.org/2012/08/01/religious_liberty/) your Members of Congress and tell them to pass the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act.
Then tomorrow, please work on these important action steps:
- Call your House of Representatives Member and Senators’ District Offices (You can find their phone numbers at House.gov and Senate.gov) and ask if there will be any town hall meetings or public events you can attend.
- Attend an event this August and encourage them to support the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act.
- If they are already supporting the legislation, thank them immediately and ask them to ask House and Senate leadership to allow it to come to the “floor” for a vote.
- If they are not supporting the legislation, ask them why and share your concerns.
CLICK LIKE IF YOU’RE PRO-LIFE!
- If there are no events you can attend, ask for a meeting with your House of Representatives Member and Senators and organize a group to join you.
America was built on the idea of preserving and protecting our deeply-held beliefs. We must not comply with this direct affront to our liberty. Please take a stand today and let your Members of Congress know that you will not stand for this injustice!