New Zealand Abortions Decline in 2011, 767 More Babies Live
by Steven Ertelt | Wellington, New Zealand | LifeNews.com | 6/18/12 7:18 PM
The number of abortions performed in New Zealand decreased in 2011, Statistics New Zealand said today. A total of 15,863 induced abortions were performed in New Zealand in 2011, 767 fewer than in 2010.
“The general abortion rate (abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years) decreased from 18.1 per 1,000 in 2010 to 17.3 in 2011. This rate is the lowest since 1995 when it was 16.1 per 1,000. The lower abortion rate indicates that the decrease in the number of abortions was due to fewer women having abortions rather than to changes in the size or age structure of the population,” said Dallas Welch, the acting government statistician.
In the year ended December 2011:
- 15,863 abortions were performed in New Zealand, the lowest number since 1999 (15,501).
- The general abortion rate was 17.3 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, down from 18.1 per 1,000 in 2010.
- Women aged 20–24 years had the highest abortion rate (33 abortions per 1,000 women aged 20–24 years).
- The median age of women having an abortion was 25 years.
- Most abortions (62 percent) were a woman’s first abortion.
- 55 percent of abortions were performed before the 10th week of the pregnancy.
- View a full report (pdf) here.
CLICK LIKE IF YOU’RE PRO-LIFE!