The encouraging news is that the total abortion rate in Indiana dropped by over 3% from 2008 to 2009, which amounts to 362 fewer children aborted in 2009. The total number of abortions done in 2009 is 10,557 – the second lowest rate in Indiana since 1978. (There were 10,514 abortions reported in 2004). Overall, the 2009 numbers are a 36% drop from the 16,505 abortions reported in 1980.
* total abortions dropped 3.3%
* Indiana’s termination rate for women 15-44 dropped by .3%
* abortions on women with less than a HS education doubled
* the highest abortion rates by far are on women 20-24
* suction curettage abortions dropped by 10%
* sharp curettage abortions skyrocketed from 15 to 399**
* dilation and evacuation abortions dropped 51%
* chemical abortions increased 15%
Reported abortions by county of occurrence:
* Allen County +<1%
* Lake County – 4%
* Marion County – 1.1%
* Monroe County – 4.3%
* St. Joseph County – 23%
** This rise likely corresponds to a combination of better reporting as a result of complaints made to the ISDH regarding termination reports leaving “type of procedure” blank or reporting as other or unknown, and an increased number of surgical abortions resulting from failed chemical abortions.