New Zogby Poll: Americans are Pro-Life on Numerous Abortion Issues
by Steven Ertelt | WASHINGTON, DC | LIFENEWS.COM | 3/22/06 9:00 AM
by Steven Ertelt
March 22, 2006
Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) — A new comprehensive survey conducted by the respected polling firm Zogby International finds that Americans are pro-life across the board on numerous abortion-related issues. The poll found Americans support every pro-life law considered on the state and national level and believe life begins at conception.
The poll surveyed a whopping 30,117 respondents in 48 states and was conducted from March 10-14. Because of the large sample size, it contains a small .6% margin of error — providing a very accurate assessment of what the American public thinks about abortion.
In this highly charged atmosphere over abortion, with South Dakota banning most abortions and the confirmation battles of to new Supreme Court justicies, the poll found that pro-abortion Democrats who want to use the abortion issue to gain votes will have a hard time.
Pollster John Zogby noted that "Democrats will have trouble gaining a political advantage by using the emotionally charged issue of abortion."
Looking at the issue of abortion itself, Americans were split on whether the Constitution allows a right to abortion with 46 percent agreeing and 45 percent saying no.
But 59 percent agree that abortion ends a human life while only 29 percent disagree. Also, 50 percent of Americans believe life begins at conception while just 19 percent say life begins at birth.
On the issue of Supreme Court nominees, "the recent confirmation hearings for Justices Alito and Roberts and may have galvanized undecided voters into the pro-life camp," Associated Television News President Brad O’Leary, who commissioned the poll, explained.
Some 71 percent of voters disagreed that the Senate should confirm only pro-abrotion justices while just 17 percent agreed.
Asked whether respondents favored using a filibuster of Supreme Court nominees because of their position on abortion, only 28% agreed with the tactic, while 59% opposed it.
The poll fund that Americans take a pro-life position on more than a dozen pro-life legislative proposals.
* Some 69 percent agree with prohibiting federal taxpayer funds from being used to pay for abortions while only 21 percent disagree.
* When asked differently, 51 percent oppose federal or state funding of abortions for poor women while 37 percent support it.
* Americans support parental notification abortion by a 69-23 percent margin for girls 16 or younger and by a 55-36 percent margin for girls 18 and younger.
* 56 percent of Americans want a 24-hour waiting period on abortion while 37 percent do not.
* Laws that charge criminals with two crimes when they assault a pregnant women and kill or injure her unborn child are favored by 64 percent of Americans and only 23 percent disagree with them.
* President Bush’s Mexico City Policy prohibiting federal funding of groups that perform or promote abortions in other nations enjoys the support of 69 percent of Americans while only 21 percent oppose the law.
* 86% of those polled oppose sex-selection abortions and say they should be illegal while just 10 percent say they should be legal.
* Some 56 percent of Americans disagree with requiring health insurance plans to cover abortions other than those necessary to save the life of the mother and only 12 percent want insurance plans to be forced to pay for abortions.
* Requiring women considering an abortion to undergo pregnancy counseling beforehand is favored by 55 percent of those polled while 37 percent oppose such a requirement.